Do you want to know how to add a signature in Word? By doing so, you can personalize any letter or agreement that you’ve created using Microsoft’s resident word processor. It’ll also allow you to grant your consent or approval without the need to print and sign the document by hand.
In this post, you’ll learn how to add a signature in Word — the quick and easy way! There won’t be a need for you to do the roundabout task of scanning your document right after you’ve finished signing it on paper.
Table of Contents
Can You Sign a Word Document without Printing?Even if you don’t print a Word document, you can still sign it. Since the popular word processor has a built-in feature for adding signatures, you can get your documents signed quickly, minimizing any possible cause of delays such as running out of ink or paper. It also offers a more cost-effective solution since you can cut down on expenses while eliminating paperwork.
How to Add a Signature in Word?If you know how to add a signature in Word, you can process your transactions faster without the hassle of printing documents on paper. Assuming that you already have a scanned version of your handwritten signature, here’s how you can add or insert it into a document in Word:
- Go to the tab menu and click Insert.
- Under the Insert menu group, click Pictures. At this point, you need to select your picture source. Since you’re importing a scanned image of your handwritten signature, click Insert Picture From This Device.
- After adding your signature, you need to adjust its layout options. Otherwise, it won’t appear correctly. Ideally, it should appear right above the signature line.
- To adjust your signature’s layout, click on it and select Layout Options. Hover over the available options and click the option that says “Behind Text” under With Text Wrapping.
- Now, go ahead and place your signature right above the signature line. You may also adjust its size accordingly.
- After signing the document, go to File and click Save. That’s it!
What if you don’t want to insert a scanned signature?If you don’t want to insert a scanned signature, you can always use the draw tool. With this tool, you’ll be able to draw your signature right above the signature line. To use the draw tool, just click Draw from the tab menu. Select the black pen tool and set your desired pen color and thickness. Next, draw your signature using your digital pen or mouse. Don’t forget to save the changes you’ve made to your document by clicking the Save option in the File tab.
How to Add a Digital Signature to a Word Document?Adding a signature to a Word document won’t automatically make it legally binding, whereas a digital signature can provide you with the means to preserve a document’s integrity. In MS Word, you can digitally sign a document using your digital ID. Also known as a digital certificate, your digital ID contains information that can help verify your identity. You can obtain a digital ID from a certified Microsoft partner like IdenTrust and GlobalSign. To digitally sign a document in Word, you need to right-click on the signature line then click Sign. A new window should appear. In it, type your name on the field provided or click Select Image to select a picture as your signature. Once done, click Sign and then click Yes to confirm. Once signed, Word will automatically save the document to view-only mode.
How to Add a Legally Binding Signature to a Word Document Using Fill?If for whatever reason, you’re unable to secure a digital certificate from a certified Microsoft partner, you can always seek an alternative solution. With Fill, you’ll still be able to add a legally-binding digital signature to any Word document. Here’s how:
- Go to fillhq.com and sign up for an account.
- Log in to your account and click Start Now.
- If the document only requires your signature, without other parties involved, select Only You.
- Upload your MS Word document by dragging and dropping it into the upload window.
- Click the (+) plus icon at the right side of the bottom menu and select My Signatures.
- To create a signature, click New. Create your signature by either typing or drawing it. You can also upload a scanned version of your signature from your computer.
- Save your signature and drag it into the signature field. Click Done as soon as you’re finished.